With holidays just around the corner, most of us are planning to spend some quality time with our friends and family members. You want everyone to enjoy this holiday season, be it your family members or your pets. It is advised to take a few simple precautions to protect your companions from some of the holiday hazards. Our Caledon vets list some holiday dangers for pets here in this article.
You might be planning to decorate your home with holly, mistletoe, and poinsettias. But, do you know all these are toxic to pets? Pine is also poisonous to our furry friends. Make sure you choose fake plants instead of real ones or in case you are willing to use the original ones, keep them in spots where you furry pal cannot reach.
Tinsel and Ribbon
If you have dogs in your home, then avoid using tinsel and ribbons. These decorative things can choke your pet or lead to severe gastrointestinal discomfort. If you can’t resist these pretty things, always keep them away from the reach of your furry friend. It is advised to pick up any fallen pieces as soon as possible.
Those twinkling lights can enhance the overall appearance of your interiors, but they can be extremely dangerous for your pets. Try to hang these lights in high, secure places so that your pets don’t get in contact with them.
It’s good to involve your pets in the festivities, but you need to be very careful about the food they are eating. There are certain food items that are dangerous to pets including chocolate, nuts, macadamia, raw dough, alcohol and caffeine. You also need to avoid giving any food that contains garlic, onion, chives and xylitol. Also, keep grapes, currants and raisins on the no-no list. Play it safe, and provide your furry friends with simple, uncooked meat. If you have a bird or some other pet, consult your vet about a safe snack.
Crackling fires are a traditional part of the holiday season. In order to protect your pets from burns, make sure you put a grate on your fireplace. Also, place the candles in high and secure places so that your pets don’t reach them.
Are you getting a real tree? If so, try to keep the tree’s water pot away so that your furbaby doesn’t get access to that water. The water may contain harmful chemicals and parasites that can cause serious disease and infection.
Happy Holiday! Our veterinarians at North Point Veterinary Hospital wish you all a wonderful holiday season. Feel free to contact us for all of your pet health care needs.